This is an easy way to make a delicious meal. Supplement with a salad and fruit desert and your good to go.
1 cup bread crumbs
1 stick melted butter or 1/2 c olive oil
or your favorite pie crust recipe
2 T olive oil or butter for sautéing
1 really big onion or a few small ones.
1 c grated zucchini
1 c milk
1 cup munster cheese or cottage cheese
1 t flour of any kind (wheat, chickpea, buckwheat, lentil, cornmeal, whatever)
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees depending on how hot or cold your oven works.
2. Peel the onion and slice in half from end to end. Do not slice in half across the middle. The way the onion is sliced and sautéed will effect the way it releases it's natural sugars. Place each onion half open side down on your cutting board, and slice long slivers from end to end about 1/8" thick.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the sliced onions. When they are hot and sizzling, turn the heat to low, so they are sautéing slowly. Stir every 2-3 minutes for 15-25 minutes. You are going to caramelize them. As they turn brown you want to stir them, so they brown on all sides. While they are sautéing, move on to step 3, but you must keep one eye on these onions. They will become very soft and turn a lovely brown. You do not want them to fry and become crispy, so make sure the heat is low enough to prevent frying, but high enough to cook slowly.
4. Place the bread crumbs in a dry 8" pie plate. Add the melted butter or olive oil and mix thoroughly with the bread crumbs. With a fork, press the breadcrumb mix into the pie plate, on the bottom and all up the sides.
5. When the onions are nicely caramelized, add the grated zucchini. Stir in and sauté for a few minutes. Turn off the heat, leave in the pan and move on to step 6.
6. In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add the flour and beat in, so it's smooth. Beat in the milk. Mix in the cheese and salt to your liking.
7. Place the onions and zucchini in your pie crust and carefully spread evenly to fully cover the bottom of the plate, being careful not to disturb your crust.
8. Pour your egg/milk/cheese mix over your pie filling and spread out the cheese evenly.
9. Bake for about 1 hour. At 30 minutes, take a look to make sure it's baking evenly. Turn the pie plate around if your oven bakes unevenly. Check again at 45 minutes.
10. Your Cheese Pie is ready when the top is golden brown.
11. Take out of the oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving. Bon appetite!